January 18, 2008

In my youth....

The Minister and I are a huge fans of Lewis Carroll. Anything from "The Hunting of the Snark: An Agony in Eight Fits" to "Jabberwocky" or "The Walrus and the Carpenter" (even though it deals with the seduction and murder of countless oysters), we thoroughly enjoy reading.

One of our favorites is "Father William," part of which goes as follows:

"You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak --
Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life."
These two stanzas were one of two things running through my head this afternoon.
All this is to explain the other, a song whose author I do not know: For in my youth, I (for a strange and fitful reason) was enamored of a particular tape that had songs on it that made, now I realize it, horrendous fun of the Democratic party, and the Clinton Administration in particular. I will not turn this blog into a political soapbox about why these songs were or were not accurate, but let me quote the lines that have been running through my head:

(to be sung to the tune of "This Land is my Land" with a William Clinton-esque accent)
This land was my land,
This land was your land,
But I just sold it
To a guy from Thailand.
He talked real funny,
But he gave me money:
This land's been sold for you by me.

The song goes on a bit longer, and it's rather funny if you don't think about the horrible things that it accuses our former president of (again, I won't diverge to discuss the actual actions of said president).

The fact that I listened to and enjoyed the songs now seems slightly strange to me, because at that time, I had little knowledge of who Clinton was, much less what he did. It appalls me to think that I spent valuable time and "mental RAM" if you will, on a song such as this...

but...

I also find it funny.

No comments: